Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Buffet

  The Bible is like a Buffet, full of all kinds of food, all kinds of drinks. It isn't that the choices are not there, all is laid out to see, but some are harder to see because there is so much presented there. Once we learn this we learn to go back and take another tour. There is every kind of food that can be thought of, even desert. Some bitter, some sweet, some tart, and some mild. The Buffet is all you can eat and there are servers and ones who serve just one station, at the same time it is offered as a self serve atmosphere. What is suppose to be hot is hot and what is to be cold is cold. Just like the buffet we often go and choose what we like best, never considering the rest of the food. I think that is only natural.

   There are other buffets but none serve as much as this one does, nor the choices it has. Some have servers that attend and you are not allowed to get your own food. Some have lines with so many rules and regulations that one seldom if ever makes it through the line. Some are a free for all that have no rules and chances are, the end of the line will seem easy but like a fight to the finish, one never finishes. Some have the hot food cold and the cold food hot and a lot of lukewarm food. Some have the meats partially cooked and some meats are plain raw. Some have frozen food that hasn't been thawed and some with that freezer taste to it. None have the complete foods laid out, instead randomly selected. Some have preferred customers that get to eat first. Some serve the opposite of what was asked for while some labeling the food wrong.

  But at our buffet we can have it all, it's seldom we see the whole selection at the first pass. At this buffet anybody can serve or be served, which is a good thing and sometimes not. The professional servers sometimes have no idea what they have to offer or at the vastness of the buffet. Being human though they have their favorite things just like anybody else, so they over emphasis on what they like. Some servers like that particular food so much that they never move anywhere else. Then there are some that come to serve but really wish to be served. Some of the other buffets sometimes send out people to serve, only to get people to eat the food they serve. They find a similar food they know and try and limit the menu to get people to eat at their buffet. All buffets have some of the same foods in common, some are just prepared differently. Some are presently differently.

  The thing I think I like most about our buffet is that we have all kinds of food. Like everybody else I eat what I like first, but then I take a quick look around to see what is next. I double back for seconds and maybe I see some things I like that I missed. Maybe I see my second choice, maybe something that looks interesting or strange or new. I'll have a second helping of my preference but with other things this time, remembering that too much of a good thing ain't good no more. Nobody's counting calories and fat isn't an issue, so I go back again. The buffet is the perfect time and chance to try something you normally wouldn't buy or cook at home, let alone grow and prepare. I learned I like fried squash, frog legs, and a host of other foods at a buffet. Trying something new doesn't cost a penny more.

  Sometimes I listen to the servers and sometimes I don't. Depends on my mood and if they seem stuck on a certain food. I really don't mind if they don't know the whole buffet but if they get stuck on one food they know no more about the rest of the buffet than I do. I came here for the experience and hunger, aka... to eat. I know what I like and though I may not always know what my body needs, it will tell me. Sometimes though what I like and what my body needs is completely different. And sometimes something passed over, overlooked or new fits both bills. There are the times I don't like what my body needs and sometimes a food doesn't agree with either, but is needed, like a colon cleanse. The beautiful thing in all this is that we all are different, and that is the way it should be as the supply of food and choices never ends. If I had known it would have been this good I'd have came to this buffet much earlier. I had heard people talk about it, had it attempted to be sold to me, threatened to go and visit it, but watched from a distance. I had seen people sick from eating too much of one food or partially full from never eating new foods, but I also saw a few satisfied people leave. It seems I focused on the sick or hungry ones and not the fully satisfied ones. I wish I had started it sooner. Then again, there is no better time than now to start. Thing is, we all have to want ti visit the buffet and we all have to want to eat. No amount of sales pitches or pressure will work for one to decide to eat, enjoy, and be full. Help yourself and dig in... but only if you want too.    

2 comments:

  1. Wise words Anthony.

    If you can think back to life before your NDE, what would have encouraged you to think in this way without such a dramatic event? What would have got you to listen to these deeper truths, that you now recognize, back then, before your NDE?

    Love life!
    Angus

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Angus, Sorry for the late response, I just now seen it.

    I'd like to say that I would have eventually come around, but truth is, I don't know. I thought I had the world in my grip, even though I could feel it slipping away. I was about me, and only seemed to be about me. Sometimes, if we are fortunate enough, things happen. What may seem like a bad event can be bad, or can just be the worst best thing that could happen. I know who I was but I really can't connect with most of who I was before the NDE. I'm honestly not sure what it would have took if indeed I wasn't so far gone anything could have. God Bless, Anthony

    ReplyDelete