Thursday, January 23, 2014

It passes quickly

I direct this mostly at the younger crowd, but older as well. When I was a kid I couldn't wait to graduate and turn 18, funny, right before my 19th birthday I was a dad. I then looked for 21, why I have no idea. It seems when we are young we are always looking at Tomorrow, never Today, so much so we forget to live. I remember distinctly how stupid my parents were and how smart I was. That changes though and either we get dumber or they get smarter as we get older. I'm not sure to date how that works. I could work new devices that they couldn't, had more formal education than they did, and knew everything. I distinctly remember having all the answers yet, I seemed to displace them as I grew older. Oh I would get so mad sometimes at them, especially over "traditions" and ways to act. If I heard once I heard it a thousand times, "Your acting up". "don't act that way", or "Is that any way to act". Occasionally I heard the, "That isn't any way to act " thing.

  Having a daughter so young, I remembered telling mom and dad that I would raise my child different, correct their mistakes and do it right. Guess what, I did raise my girls different, I was more strict on them than I ever lived under. I take it they were much better kids than I was because I remembered the crap I did, and that wasn't going to happen to my kids. Yep boys, one remembers what one did back then and when you have a daughter you do not want a boy coming around like you. But something happens when as you get older, or at least it should. You will look at your child with a new set of eyes, seeing the world differently, and finding a whole new other type of love. As that child grows so does your understanding of the way things look, the way you perceive the world around you. Oddly enough, those people who raised you will look far more intelligent than you once gave them credit. I know full well that there are exceptions to this, and if there is, you have the power to change this and owe it to your child to right the wrong.  For this though I am talking about those who do the normal and right thing.

   As one grows so does the perception of views held by your parents, they slowly begin to make sense. The "stupid" rules and ideas once taught to you that you hated, you now begin to see why, and use them yourself. You make plans to do this or that but then something always comes up. We tend to lean toward the Tomorrow thing all over again. I need to see my parents... tomorrow. I need to be with my kids... tomorrow. That is a natural way of life these days, entertainment and even the institutions and employers preach, tomorrow. Please allow me to give you advice that has helped me to have a better life. You don't have to overdo this but for your sake learn what I failed to learn until it was late in the game. Jesus preached Today, and He did so for a reason. Your parents wants to visit, or do something with you.Try Today. Your child wants you to color.... try Today. Tomorrow may never get here, but when it does, it changes to Today. There is no reset button, no replay, no do over... I know, I've looked and it isn't even real. Once you miss an opportunity, it may never come again. Unlike the video games and movies, you get one shot here in this world and if you screw it up there are no repeats, no resets, no make overs.

  As you look upon your child take a moment to stop and think, this is how they look upon you. With joy and wonder, impressed, proud, honored, even fear, fear that they will not do justice to their child. A willingness to share all and give all to this new being. This is how your parents felt too. This new person however you will bump heads with, as you want them to be the best they can be. To be what you are not. To have what you didn't have. To pass down what you have learned. Suddenly I understood better my parents, just as you will. The time passes quickly as you suddenly notice your child is becoming an adult, your parents are old, and you are older yourself. There is a myriad of opportunities to take of things that are priceless and have real worth, moments. The world will tell you to work like a dog and give them all the things you can buy, even the child will also tell you because they've been influenced by the world. Just as you were, just as I was, when we were small.

   Fancy cars depreciate, homes can become wardens as well as prisons, demanding you give more than it's share. Fashion is fleeting and ever changing. Gadgets are "improved" and outdated. Hobbies take all the spare time. Big, costly vacations suck more from living and memories fade. Politics change as one realizes it is a show. Even religion can go way off track and isolate you from your child. But it will not be until later that you realize that the "American Dream" is titled that because you have to be asleep to believe it. Hopefully you will be smarter than I was and awaken quicker. Most of these things, done in moderation aren't bad, thing is, with TV and mass media they tell that you cannot go too far. If you are as I am you soon realize that the first 30 years have been materially good but taxing, and it has all been fleeting as the real wealth slips away. For some things it is too late. So we say Amen, but it is still raining.

  I watched my dad go in a few short years from an independent man to a man who fought to stay that way. His mind knew what he needed to do yet his body would not cooperate. Dad would get frustrated and hateful at times, mad at himself for not being able to do what he knew how to do. Your kids are at the stage you started at, all the answers to life's puzzles, and you become the idiot in their eyes. That seems to be a main theme that Hollywood seems to promote: old people stupid and useless and young people smart and in charge. It you are young and reading this just remember, youth is not forever. I could go into some detailed info on that but you would lose my point and if it intrigues one and you want to know, you'd have to visit my website. Point is, old people got to be old by being smart. Believe me on this, help your parents and be kind to them, patient with them, for one day this will be you... if you are fortunate. 

  Blink and suddenly you have grand kids and are caring for your parents and eventually burying your parents. Then you become that old man or woman that the TV and movies find so funny, making you look dumb, hateful, and completely ignorant. They want the youth to think the old are completely useless. You see that we value everything in this country, cars, furniture, tools... everything but our true assets, people. That will be you one day. So I end with a few points to ponder, knowing this is poorly written. An Indian Chief once said, "It's easy to be brave... at a distance." So think before you say you won't care. There are basically two paths one can take. One where one can follow Jesus' main teachings, or the other which follow a Luciferian path of "Do what thy wilt shall be the whole of the law." Be vigilant though, that one sneaks up on you with sayings like "Just Do It", "You Deserve ..." , "Do your own thing", "If it feels good, do it". Bear in mind that like rat poison, lies contain some truth just as deception contains some reality. Make sue there isn't a hook hiding under the bait before you swallow it. Remember that those who came before you paved the way for you to have it better. I have yet to hear anyone say they wish they had been less kind, less respectful, or less loving.             

         

No comments:

Post a Comment