Monday, September 5, 2011

Just Thinking

   There are quiet A few things today that limit what we know and at the same time, set out to frustrate us. I know my patience is wearing thin when I just cut off sources I know to be wrong for news. Up until recent times I went by what I had been taught as a child, to not "throw out the baby with the bathwater". There is always some truth contained in a lie and a lie contained sometimes in much truth, if one is wishing to deceive another. Then again it was either Hitler or one of his top officers that once said that if you tell a lie, make it a big one. From the same people was said that if one tells a lie big enough and often enough, people will believe it. I believe they were correct. Still, lies flourish when knowledge runs shallow.

   I think we allow ourselves to be deceived more than anything else and there are times, events, and things we are deceived about when not allowing it. These days we notice deceptions easier for the most part, just the smaller ones though. Some of that is done through pride. We boast that we are the smartest and live in the most intelligent time ever since the human race first began, but pride goeth before a fall. Stop and think about that for a minute, it makes perfect sense. Seldom do we fall when we are careful and unsure to where we step, climb, or run. It is usually when we are quite confident and sometimes to the point of being arrogant that we fall, carelessly moving, taking pride in our own abilities. The fall also seems to be when we have pride in our pace and watch our fellow man's pace, waiting for them to fall, watching for them to err.

   Have you taken a good look at us though these days, a really good look. I stop occasionally to collect what is left of myself. Sometimes I stop to just breathe. One look at the comments on YouTube or a Forum and the ignorance seems to just beam through most of the time. I include myself on that. My great grandmother was born 07-01-1894 and she lived until I was 22 years old in 1982. When I was young I thought this had to be the most outdated, ignorant person I knew. Somehow though, maybe through a miracle, the older I got the smarter she got. Still, when she died I thought many of what her ideas were completely outdated, maybe even cynical. It isn't until now though that I see it was her that was outdated but actually advanced, for the times she talked about are at hand. These days she looks more like a prophet than an old woman who reflected to the future. While she reflected back to an old time full of hard labor and less luxuries and was not impressed with the modern advances made, it just didn't make sense... it does now. She wasn't fooled by what we are fooled by today and honestly I don't know for sure, but I doubt she would be fooled today. Her beliefs were simple.   

   Had I have known that our country would have become what it is today and heading for even worse tomorrow, I would have moved a several years ago. Through the Internet though I see that almost all countries have gone this path, some quicker, some slower. The light bulb went back on, maybe briefly, who knows. But in this moment I actually thought for a change, a country isn't just the government, it is it's people too. So what do I do, you do, we do? While it isn't for everyone, I figured that I would write, which is something I am not good at. We all have but three choices. Place our Rosie colored glasses back on and watch the world get worse and wonder why. Join in and live the same way as the rest are living, advancing our world the way it is headed. Look inside ourselves and become the change we'd like to see while helping others to be the change too, or at least recognize the problem. The third is the hardest to do. Once again I reflect back to my great grandmother who once said that the hardest way is usually the right way. Everybody will not do the hard way and nobody can be forced to do the right thing. That however is what separates men and women from the herd. It is not that one man or woman is better than any other man or woman, but rather it is the actions that makes them a better person.

  Just as ignorance and all that goes along with it are contagious, so is intelligence and caring. We don't think it is possible because we are constantly being bombarded with messages that it is not possible. There again is where lies of the few effect the many, but only if we allow it can it affect us. Call it what you will, we all have the ability to stop affecting how we think and feel. We are far more powerful than we have been taught in these last few decades. I see a lot of people take the talk about being self-sufficient and wonder if they even realize that fixing their own part is the perfect example of self-sufficiency. Why survive a catastrophe if we can avoid one, especially a man-made one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment